The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission has disqualified former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko from vying for any political position.
This development comes hours after Sonko filed an application disputing the Supreme Court verdict before the East African Court of Justice on Monday.
Sonko was last week barred from contesting for any political position by the Chief Justice Martha Koome’s led Supreme Court, a rulling that passed the Mombasa gubernatorial hopeful unfit for public office.
However, the embattled politician took has made real his threats of seeking justice at the Court of East African Community, says the decision of the Supreme court and courts of Kenya was arrived at in an unfair manner.
“The decision of the Kenyan judicial arm is tainted with illegality as the decision of the high court as upheld by the Supreme Court was influenced through corrupt means,” he says.
“The determination of the proceedings before the tribunal will have a bearing on the challenged judgment of the high court culminating in this appeal,” Sonko said.
The IEBC had last week cleared Mike Sonko to vie for Mombasa governorship seat on a Wiper party ticket under the umbrella of Azimio La Umoja-One Kenya coalition. This is after the Mombasa High Court trashed his disqualification of contesting.