Tot High School pupils who survived an armed bandit attack sadly told their ordeal while receiving treatment at a nearby hospital.
The students taken to the Kapsowar Mission Hospital claimed that on Thursday, February 17, armed bandits ambushed their school bus as it was returning on an academic tour.
One student told the press that their bus was one of three school vehicles returning to their respective campuses following the tour.
They were startled to hear screams and saw armed bandits emerge from the roadside. As the bandits opened fire, their school bus driver veered off the road.
As the terrorists blasted gunfire at the bus, twelve children and two teachers were injured. The bandits shot the driver, who died on the spot.
According to the pupils, their attempts to hide inside the bus were unsuccessful because the bandits were desperate to get them.
“It’s a marvel we’re still alive. The assailants opened fire on our driver before splattering bullets throughout the rest of the vehicle. Even after we ducked behind the chairs, the firing continued “as told by a student
“They stopped shooting and ran when I told them in vernacular that we are their tales.”
Patrick Lumumba, the Elgeyo Marakwet County Police Commander, indicated that investigations had begun and that the bandits were being pursued.
Following the attack, Kipchumba Murkomen, the area senator, criticised the police’s inactivity in dealing with the bandits in the region.
“I hope Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i and Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai are aware that a convoy of three buses carrying Tot Secondary School students was attacked earlier this evening along Arror – Tot Road.”
“I thought you said you’d never do that again? Despite your assurances, there is no protection and no National Police Reservist (NPR) “He stated this.
Following the senator’s remarks, CS Matiang’i ordered the immediate arrest of the principal of Tot Secondary School following the incident.
Matiang’i, speaking at an education stakeholders event in Nairobi on Friday, February 18, accused the school principal for violating regulations that prohibited school buses from operation after 6:30 p.m.